If you're ever in need of a great chocolate cake or cupcake recipe, you need not look any further. I tried three different recipes for the butterfly cupcakes, and every one of them flopped miserably. The flavor and texture were completely off, and there was no way I could serve any of the cupcakes at the bake sale in good conscience. I was almost on the verge of tears after the third batch turned out disastrous. I didn't realize a good chocolate cupcake was so difficult to make!
So I turned to a pro, and I wondered why I hadn't done this in the first place! When in doubt, just head over to Savory Sweet Life. The ever talented and very gracious Alice does not disappoint. When it comes to cake, she knows her stuff (she used to own a wedding cake business). Her chocolate espresso cupcake is to die for. Its flavor is rich and decadent; the texture moist and dense. Need I say more? Just perfect and it saved the butterfly cupcakes. Next time, I will have to try the Frangelico ganache frosting to go with it.
Alice's Espresso Chocolate Cupcakes
From Savory Sweet Life
Makes approximately 40 cupcakes
Photo from Savory Sweet Life
2 cups hot strong coffee
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (11-1/4 ounces)
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder and coffee until it looks like a smooth chocolate sauce; set aside to cool. In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and sugars until nice and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Slowly add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until batter and mix for 2 minutes. Add chocolate-coffee sauce mixture and mix the cake batter for 3 minutes on medium-high or until the batter is smooth.
2. Fill each muffin cup until 2/3 full. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and allow to cool on a wire rack.
So now it's your turn to make some amazing cupcake creations! I'm giving away two copies of Hello, Cupcake! to readers (domestic U.S. residents only). This book is filled with wonderful, playful ideas on how to dress up the average cupcake (like the candy butterflies). The instructions and photos in the book really do make it easy for anyone to make these fun creations.
TO ENTER THE DRAWING FOR THE BOOK GIVEAWAY
(open to domestic U.S. residents only):
Simply leave a comment telling me what your favorite cupcake flavor is.
For extra entries:
- Like Eaternal Bliss on Facebook and leave another comment letting me know you did so (if you already like, you can add a comment letting me know).
- Follow Eaternal Bliss publicly via Google Friend Connect (again, if you're already doing this, just let me know).
- Post about the giveaway on Twitter: "Win a free copy of "Hello, Cupcake!" at http://bit.ly/ia4XOv via @mothersmementos." Leave an additional comment letting me know you tweeted this.
Deadline for entry is 11:59pm EST on Monday, April 18, 2011. Two winners will be randomly chosen by a number generator. I'll announce winners and email them directly to let them know they've won.
Good luck! And please do try Alice's amazing chocolate cupcake recipe. You won't regret it.